UNICODE VERSION 14.0
The Unicode is a platform for encoding every character and symbol into the global world writing system. It provides a unique number to every written character regardless of any platform, language, application, or device is being used. Unicode is adopted by every software provider and transports the data without any kind of data corruption. Talking about its versions, it has always come forward with the best of them. The latest and upcoming version of this standard is version 14.0. It has not been released yet. The publishing of this version of the Unicode standard has been postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The Annexes, Character Databases, and Code charts of this version will be released on September 21, 2021. The core specifications are still pending because of the extensive inclusion of new content. An announcement would be made when the core specifications would about to be released.
The total number of characters added in this set is not known yet. But the number of scripts is known. The addition of scripts in this version includes 5 new scripts from a total of 159 scripts. As compared to the previous version, which is version 13.0, this version of the Unicode standard will add new 37 emoji characters. Version 14.0 will also add support for rarely-used language and unique written languages. It will also include the addition of several symbols. These new characters and scripts that will be added to this version are as follows:
- Arabic script that contains 41 characters will be added to this version.
- Latin extended script will also be added, containing 57 characters.
- A Toto script containing 37 characters will also be added.
- Cypro Minoan containing 99 characters will be added.
- Canadian Aboriginal syllabics will be added, containing 16 characters.
- Vithuki, Old Uyghur, and Tangsa scripts will also be added.
Symbol additions in version 14.0 are as follows:
- 37 new emoji characters will be added to this version of the Unicode Standard.
- Other symbol additions include the addition of Znamey musical symbols.
- Currency symbols
- Transportation and map symbols
- Supplemental symbols and pictographs
- Geometric shapes and Diacritical marks
Advantages and Disadvantages of Unicode version 14.0
The release of Unicode version 14.0 has been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. According to the statement of Mark Davis, version 14 will be released on September 21, 2021. According to the above explanation of this version, the following are some of the advantages and disadvantages of this version:
One major advantage to this version of the Unicode standard is the addition of new emoji characters, new historic and modern scripts, and new symbols. The disadvantage is that this is not yet confirmed. Because the number of emoji characters may be reduced due to late release. This version also supports the latest edition of ISO/IEC. It contains unique and rare scripts of all global world writing systems. More disadvantages and advantages cannot be explained because the code charts, annexes, and character databases are not announced. It is anticipated that they will be soon announced in 2021.